Sunday, December 20, 2009

Aunt Becke's Oreos


My Aunt Becke just recently lost her battle with Cancer and as I reflected on her life and the time we spent together these cookies came to mind. Every year the Probert family would hold a huge Super Bowl party. And every year for the party, Becke would make these wonderful cookies. After finally getting her recipe I had to try them myself. They turned out fabulous! Korynn tells me they are her favorite cookies ever! Also, I would also like to introduce Korynn as my official blog photographer. All pictures from here on out will most likely be taken by her.

Stats:

Directions for cookies:
  • 1 Package Devil's Food Cake Mix
  • 2 Eggs
  • 3/4 cup shortening.
Mix well and roll into balls. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.


One thing you need to watch out for while making these cookies is to make all the balls as close to the same size as you can since you're going to be stacking them later on.


I already had the frosting made up from a previous batch so I'm not able to blog about it here. The recipe I used has a very strong cream cheese taste. (It IS cream cheese frosting after all.) I, however, am not a big fan of cream cheese frosting that is really tart so I added an extra cup of confectioners sugar to the mix. You'll want to mix in the sugar to taste.

FTW:
  • "Best tasting cookies ever!" or so I've been told.
  • Nice and simple to make
  • "Cookie Time" Badge earned.
FTL:
  • Lack of a good large frosting tip made these hard to frost. I think they should be frosted like cupcakes with something like a #1M tip.
  • Don't last long around my house. You need to get them while you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment