Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Years!




   Korynn told me I needed to do fondant for our New Years cake, so this was my first attempt at doing fondant.  It just so happened my co-worker over at cakeoricandothat put up a tutorial on her Marshmallow Fondant (MMF).  The cake turned out really cute and all in all I was pleased with it. Having never worked with the homemade marshmallow fondant, however, it was really a pain to get the texture just right.  That being said, none of us actually liked the fondant coating.  We've decided to ditch the idea of covering our cakes in fondant.  I'll use it for accents or figures, but not for covering.

Stats:

  • 9" Cake Round
  • Duncan Hines Fudge Marble Cake Mix prepped as per box
  • Filled with Chocolate Mousse
  • Iced with Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC)
  • Covered in white MMF
  • Decorated with colored MMF

  
     I got new Bake Even strips for Christmas, and this cake baked up like a charm.  It ended up really nice and flat on top.  So much so, that I hardly needed to use my new leveler.



   This was my second attempt at IMBC and let me tell you, this recipe was to die for.  Unlike the last one I tried, this one did not have a buttery taste at all and was really nice and smooth.  It's a little stiff to frost with so I still had some issues while frosting it, but I'm working on that.

    My photographer was too busy playing with her Grandma while I was making the MMF, so I didn't get any pictures of the process.




     Not bad for my first covered cake, I thought :)



   I made Black, Red, Blue and Green fondant for the decorations, and had a heck of a time getting the consistency right on these.  Not to mention that the amounts were to small for my mixer to mix correctly.  At least I got to use my new fondant rolling pin :)

   I got decorating lessons for Christmas and I start next week.  It should be a lot of fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment