Wednesday, January 27, 2010

SORRY!



    So Devin's birthday was last Saturday, so of course I needed to do the cake.  The theme for his party was board games, so he wanted me to make a Sorry cake.  I beginning to realize I don't have enough time in the day to do all these cakes.  I think I have spent more time baking cakes the past two weeks than actually playing video games.  What was supposed to be my hobby on the side has suddenly become my main hobby.  Not that I mind, I just need to pace myself better when making the cakes.  I started this one Friday night, and finished about 30 minutes before his party started.  I frosted this one in IMBC because I really <3 the taste of it.  Unfortunately, IMBC needs to crust in the fridge, but I have spent so much time with standard BC, I left it out.  That means the cake wasn't as smooth as I would like and it made placing the pieces very difficult.






  I made my own Marshmallow Fondant for the pieces because I wasn't sure how much I needed.   I hadn't planned on eating it, so I thought about buying the the pre-packaged kind but I didn't think it would be enough.  I didn't realize how far just a little bit of fondant went.  The fondant making went much better time than the stuff I made for my New Years cake.   Korynn even mentioned that she like the way it tasted when she ate the small pieces.  The kids really wanted to help, so I let them make the pieces.



You'll see Kiersten's contribution on the top row.  She made the top row of pieces.

Stats:

  • 10" x 14' square cake.
  • Duncan Hines Marble Fudge Cake prepped as per Cake Mix Dr. "Better than ? cake"
  • Iced with IMBC
  • Filled with Costco Mousse
  • Pieces and details done with MMF
   I decided to try to use the Cake Dr's "Better than ? Cake" even though this wasn't a typical Yellow cake and I wasn't terribly impressed with the cake.  I don't know why, but it just didn't taste as well as normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment